The Visitors’ Center is housed in a 1916 National Register trolley station. According to the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, it is the most architecturally impressive structure housing an Urban Cultural Park Visitors Center. We reestablished the original ambiance of the building while providing exterior repairs, site work restoration and… Read more >
We restored this 145 year old National Landmark building including its internationally acclaimed Music Hall in the 1990s. As part of this $4.2 million project, the exterior was restored, offices were renovated, and upgrades were made for ADA compliance. We used specialized plaster ceiling stabilization techniques so that the hall’s acoustics would not be impacted…. Read more >
The Visitor Center is an innovative adaptive reuse project. We restored cargo doors and windows to maximize natural light. The entrance is accented with a full-scale partial replica of the Burden Iron Works waterwheel, an important historic icon. The project is certified by the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.
We have enjoyed a successful relationship with the Arts Center for over 25 years. When they needed to create a new facility, we were commissioned to renovate six historic downtown retail buildings. The conversion, at a cost of $5.3 million, provides an accessible environment for arts learning in all disciplines. The center contains flexible exhibition… Read more >
architecture+ was responsible for the exterior preservation and interior restoration and renovation of these two nationally-listed historic mineral bathhouses. Scenes from Robert Redford’s movie The Horse Whisperer were shot on site. Large portions of the facility were significantly reconfigured while retaining the feel and quality of the existing building. In addition to mineral spring baths,… Read more >
This historic residence now serves as the Town of Colonie’s Cultural Center. Exterior work included extensive masonry rebuilding. We added climate and temperature control systems to protect historic artifacts and paintings. Original features such as the stoves and bread ovens remain. In addition, we preserved the grounds, out-buildings and barn to provide an interesting setting… Read more >
The Approach is a 163-step staircase leading from RPI to the city of Troy. It was completed in 1907 as a memorial to link the campus physically and symbolically with the city. For half a century, this neoclassic structure was used to scale the hill and as a gathering place for photos and ceremonial events…. Read more >
Bush Memorial Center, one of the finest examples of the Greek Revival architectural style in the United States, serves as an elegant, formal approach to the historic Russell Sage College campus. It was originally designed in 1836 by James Dakin as the First Presbyterian Church. architecture+ was selected to design the complete interior and exterior… Read more >